Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Hike to Kaskikot




Today was my final day of training, guided along a strenuous mountain path by Jagrit, the university student who will be my "porter" for the ten day trek in the Annapurna Sanctuary. While uncomfortable enslaving a 50kg wisp to carry my bag, I'm happy to know that the money he will earn over the next ten days will cover his tuition and support his mother (in the photo over my right shoulder) for many months to come.

Today Jagrit took me to his village, a 600 meter ascent to a mountain top that would pass as anyone's shangri-la. We sat on grass mats spread on the mud floor, eating rice, lentils, goat meat, veg curry and buffalo milk. Jagrit had warned me that in every Hindu household "guest is God". I certainly encountered at least that degree of respect and honor.

The day taught me many lessons, one being that I will be safely guided into the Himalayas by an honorable guide/porter.

This will likely be my final post until I descend from the Annapurna range around the 12th of September with many stories and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment