Monday, August 8, 2011

Being in the moment in the midst of chaos!

Earlier today I found myself weaving through thousands of Hindu pilgrims on a busy Varanasi thoroughfare that leads to the River Ganga. There was little order to the hurried march of devotees as they were prodded along by stick-waving jawans (soldiers) and police in riot gear.

I was impatient, so I picked up my pace in order to put the unruly crowd behind me.

Then I caught the eye of a soldier who was watching me with apparent interest when I realized he was reading the inscription on my tee shirt. I paused and remembered that the shirt carried the words of my teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh, "Do not hurry. Enjoy the present moment." I had a little laugh, smiled to the policeman and came back to the moment. I slowed my pace and realized that I could enjoy even these moments of chaos. More aware and very slowly I continued to my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment