Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A "Talking Stick" for English Corner

I introduced the concept of the "talking stick" to our English Corner students this week, trying to get them to see the importance of one person speaking at a time and respect for the person holding the stick. Rather than carve something out of a deciduous or conifer, I hiked to a bamboo forest in the nearby mountains to fetch a length of bamboo for the talking stick. I nearly amputated my index finger trying to cut the bamboo, although I was saved by a dull Swiss Army knife. Now we have a talking stick to use during our weekly "circle talks". And at the end of the year, I'll be able to carry away the stick as a memento of these fun experiences with the students. The stick will hold their communal energy and the accumulated dirt and oils from their hands. And I'll have the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment